Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pinhead Reborn

I was up late last night. You see, my mind wanders. And in order to stop it from wandering, I usually grab myself some chocolate-mint ice cream and pop in an oldie but goodie into the DVD player. About an hour later, Uncle Frank is trying to get into Kirsty's pants. Needless to say, I was curious to read up on possible updates for the upcoming remake (better than another sequel... I suppose.) And while my buddy Frank, one half of the always insightful 7e Antiquaire, had shown me the first pics of the "new" Pinhead maybe a year back, I came upon this clip on YouTube. This updated look was created by effects artist - Gary J. Tunicliffe - a man who's been working on the series since the third installment, Hellraiser: Hell on Earth. The dude figured he'd take a stab at re-creating the look, and while it will not be used in the upcoming remake, it's still darn pretty. Uh, if two inch gashes and 9 inch nails are your thing, that is.

As far as the remake is concerned, it looks like the film itself remains trapped in Hell. Last anyone's heard, Pascal Laugier (director of the exquisite laceration of a film, Martyrs) had left the project and the film remains without a writer/director. It's a shame when you think about the amount of people who are passionate about the story, about the characters, and who want to remain faithful to the original concept of Clive Barker's masterpiece. Oh well...

In the meantime, here's a quick showing of Tunicliffe's "redesigning of an icon."

No comments:

Post a Comment